[dev] Multilingualistion

Akira Kurogane akira@kurogane.net
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 00:34:02 +0900

引用中 Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org>:

> Zitat von Akira Kurogane <akira@kurogane.net>:
> > [in iconv there] is no detection routine. ...

> I don't think we need a charset detection routine. We can (or should at
> least) rely on the charsets that are provided by the message headers and
> the translations.

Well, this sounds like the strict method, which is admirable. I used charset
detection (only in some places. mind) because sometimes there isn't a variable
in direct environment (ie. in the local scope of the relevant functions) of
imp/horde which can be used to identify the charset of the mime <i>part</i>. For
example, the encode() function of MIME "Message" object (lib/MIME/Message.php)
presently derives it's charset from the browser's HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET or the
Lang object, not by referencing the relevant mime part.

The second point about not having a charset-detect function is that it prevents
imp from dealing with mail such as the one we received from a <hem@eyou.com>
earlier today. Hem's client didn't provide RFC-??? compliant headers, and hence
we all saw something like "AoO3/4+o" for his header, which was actually 'Liu Zhi
Bin' in the GB2312 Simplified Chinese charset.

But my two cents is: let it go. If a mail is non-RFC-compliant, nobody should be
making any efforts to save it. (apologies to Hem).

So in summary, I support that idea to avoid using charset detection.

> One problem that still isn't solved is the missing support for Japanese
> charsets in htmlspecialchars(). We can't just drop it like you did in your
> patches, for security reasons.

Good point! I meant to make something better eventually, guess I'll have to do
it sooner rather than later. This may require that charset be supplied as an
additional parameter to the function, though.

Akira