[dev] Using OpenLDAP for prefs.

Jon Parise jon@horde.org
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:30:20 -0400

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 10:26:01AM -0700, Edwin Culp wrote:

> | Deleting an attribute will restore the default, but it won't fix the
> | problem that it seems impossible to store an empty string in an LDAP
> | directory.
>
> I'm certainly not an expert on this but I've seen it discussed often
> on the OpenLDAP list.  I guess the bottom line is that a non-existent
> attribute can serve as the rough equivalent of an empty string, depending
> of course on the code.

The only problem with our implementation is that a non-existent
attribute falls back to the default value, which may not necessarily
be an empty string.

> If an empty string is really needed, it can be assigned when reading
> non-existent attributes from the directory and I would think that in
> most cases it should work.

That would prevent the desired "fall back to the default" behavior
that I mention above.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Information Technology (2001)