[dev] Transfer-Encoding and message/rfc822

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Sat, 25 May 2002 11:08:28 -0600

Quoting Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org>:

| There is a problem with message/rfc822 mime parts that doesn't have a
| "displayable" Transfer-Encoding header set. The parts inside this mime
| part
| don't get decoded correctly.
|
| You can see that with the message "Catalan Translation" to the imp list.
|

>From RFC 2046:
   No encoding other than "7bit", "8bit", or "binary" is permitted for
   the body of a "message/rfc822" entity.

That message is encoded in base64 and is, thus, a malformed message.  I
agree with supporting (limited) checking for malformed messages, but at
first glance handling base64 encoded message/rfc822 messages seems to be
too much trouble for what it is worth.

michael

Michael Slusarz [slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu]
The University of Colorado at Boulder