[dev] Merging changes

Marcus I. Ryan marcus@riboflavin.net
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:36:35 -0500

This message is in MIME format.

What do people think about making "Reply to List" bold :)

As I said (originally to just Jan), I have a script that handles this
sort of thing mostly reliably for me.  Still doesn't seem to work right
if a file has been DRASTICALLY changed, but still.  It's attached (sh
shell script)

Quoting Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org>:

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu>:
>
> > This is driving me crazy... Is there any way to merge changes from
> the
> > *.dist config files into my personal config files which will not
> > blow-away
> > my personal settings?  I used to make all these changes in the
> .dist
> > files
> > and then update via CVS, but i can't do that anymore lest I make a
> commit
> >
> > one day and CVS suddenly contains my setup :)  I have also played
> around
> > with the 'merge' utility but that blows away all my personal
> settings.
>
> What I do is the following:
> Run a diff, e.g. 'diff -u prefs.php prefs.php.dist'
> Now I have the different version numbers from the $Horde$ tag.
> I then run 'cvs diff -u -r 1.234 -r 1.235 prefs.php.dist | patch
> prefs.php'
> You'll only have to fix parts of the patch that didn't apply by hand
> from
> prefs.php.rej.
>
> Jan.
>
> --
> http://www.horde.org - The Horde Project
> http://www.ammma.de - discover your knowledge
> http://www.tip4all.de - Deine private Tippgemeinschaft

Marcus I. Ryan, marcus@riboflavin.net
 "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
 flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come."
                 -- Matt Groening

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-keys