[dev] Patch for Zip and Rar Mime Viewers

Michael Cochrane mike@graftonhall.co.nz
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 19:42:40 +0100

At the address below is a patch for the Zip and RAR viewers.

http://www.graftonhall.co.nz/mikes/Horde%20Diffs/Native%20Archive%20Info/

This patch allows the viewers to generate the achive info without the need for
any external programs. i.e. it reads the archive file format it's self.

This gives a few benifets:
  - less dependancy on other programs (although if they are defined they are used)
  - the archives are never written to disk, it's all done in memory so less disk IO
  - we control the output and so it can be translated / standardized.
  - kept me out of trouble for a couple of hours.

If there's interested i'll do some more formats. Just doing the ones that look
easy first :-) looking at ace cause it's a nice block one like rar. tar looked
complicated :-( gzip looked half do-able, cab looked interesting... also might
look at decrompressing in php in some cases and play with the vfs :-)

If anyone finds any archives that don't display. please send them my way and
i'll find out why and make it work.

- Mike :-)