[dev] Multiple SQL Server Support

Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:00:11 -0500

Quoting James <james@james-web.net>:

> Idea:
> Redundant SQL Server Support.  If the 'primary' SQL server can't be
> contacted, Horde and whatever configured applications switches over to a
> 'secondary' SQL server.  This would probably require a redo of a lot of
> .conf files, and some work inside of the core horde classes.

I'm not against that really, but it would be better to put the redundency
at your sql server itself rather than in the applications.

> But I think it's a large benefit as it provides failover survivability
> in case one SQL server is hit by a meteor or something.

Only if your sql servers are sufficiently far apart that the meteor doesn't
take out both.

> I'm currently utilizing this in non-Horde related in-house application,
> and was wonder your thoughts on its feasability inside of Horde.  Would
> this be a easy to moderate project, or a major to impossible project?

Gets to be a slippery slope where you have to keep adding this code to
more and more apps as time goes on.  Why not just make your sql servers
redundent, and leave all the apps as is?

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage