[dev] Widgets labels

Federico Giannici giannici@neomedia.it
Wed, 03 Jul 2002 16:02:00 +0000

Jan Schneider wrote:

> Zitat von Federico Giannici <giannici@neomedia.it>:
>
> > Is there any reason why all the horde applications don't use the "<label
> > >" tag with the text labels of the checkbox and radio-buttons widgets?
> >
> > According to me they make the widgets more intuitive to use, especially
> > for users accustomed to Windows programs...
>
> Can you explain what you mean by this?

In normal programs, users can click over the corresponding text label to
select a checkbox or a radiobutton.

Usually in web application this doesn't work and the user have to click
exactly over the image of the checkbox or the radiobutton to activate
it.

HTML 4 defines a way to accomplish the same behaviour of the normal
programs by means of the "LABEL" tag:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.9

It's very simple to use, the only requirement is that an ID must be
assigned to every checkbox or radiobutton (anyway usually they already
have an unique NAME so it isn't a problem to use the same name for the
ID).
Theoretically, in some situations it could work even without assigning
an ID, but this doesn't seem to work with IE 5.5 (no problem with
Mozilla 1.0).

Bye,
    __
   |-                      giannici@neomedia.it