[dev] Jonah Weather

Robin Johnson robbat2@orbis-terrarum.net
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 00:43:55 -0700

Hi List,

I just grabbed a copy of the CVS tree, and saw the weather system in
Jonah is in a very sorry state.

I've been a core developer on the phpMyAdmin for quite a long time now,
and I was wondering if anybody would object to me re-working the weather
system of Jonah to use METAR weather data, just like phpWeather
(http://phpweather.sourceforge.net/).

My main reasoning for this, is that the places I want weather for have
better coverage in METAR data than Intercept-Vector data.

There is also one other change I want in the weather system along the
way, regarding the UI, so I will implement it. I want to be able to
display multiple weather locations. I travel between two cities a lot,
so my homepage would give me weather for both of them. Plus I think
there should be a weather feed page that lists all available weather
data, possibly with a little search tool as found on the phpWeather
homepage.

The feature to display weather radar images is neat, but I also want to
extend it for more visual data, like IR and Visible sattillite data.

Have a look at the weather feed on my homepage for some ideas with the
images:
http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=weather.maps

--
Robin Hugh Johnson