[dev] Thoughts on Calendar

Robin Johnson robbat2@orbis-terrarum.net
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 19:45:11 -0700

---------------------- multipart/signed attachment
On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 09:33:44AM -0500, David U. wrote:
> 3) When one has multiple calendars, having a way to view a merged calenda=
r.
> Like if I have three calendars I'd like to be able to view the month view
> with all three calendar's events on it.
This feature I think we definetly need. The calender viewing mechansim
will become more complicated, but it will be a lot more powerful.

I have my events split up into a few calenders for my own use (Eg, I was
one with my lecture schedule for Uni, and another with my personal
plans). I have my girlfriend doing the same and using my
Horde+IMP+Kronolith for organizing herself. We both want to put our
lecture schedules as shared/public (read-only) and be able to see things
at a glance on the main horde page, which presently only shows things in
your personal calender. We want it to have our lectures merged with our
personal events, combined with a club shared calender I have, all
displayed on one calendar, to see at a glance what is going on.

Implementation wise, I think it might be wise to use something like the
IMP IMAP folders system for this. And have a number of calenders
selected for the main view. An additional possibility, althought I think
it will be too much work, would be the ability to create calender
groups. This could be used, say the executives of a club who have their
class schedules in Kronolith, could just put together a big group of
their class schedule calendars, and see easily where everybody is free
for meetings and the like.

So to recap that, it is basically a means of viewing a group of
calenders together, while the events on each are still seperate.

--=20
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2@orbis-terrarum.net
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=3Dpeople.robbat2