[dev] Thoughts on Calendar

Robin Johnson robbat2@orbis-terrarum.net
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 22:00:33 -0700

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
 >>This feature I think we definetly need. The calender viewing mechansim
 >>will become more complicated, but it will be a lot more powerful.
 > Yes. I certainly want to have this for the Horde summary, but it'd be great
 > to have in general as well. I have no time to work on it right now, though.
 > Patches? =)
I'm not volunteering for this one now.

 >>Implementation wise, I think it might be wise to use something like the
 >>IMP IMAP folders system for this. And have a number of calenders
 >>selected for the main view.
Basically, in the IMP folder page, if you are connected to an IMAP server, you
can choose which of the folders you want to subscribe to, and check for new mail.

Now imagine this as instead you can subscribe to calendars, which will make them
available in your dropdown calendar selector box. And the 'check for new mail'
option becomes a flag intended for saying the calender events are displayed on
your summary page.

 >>An additional possibility, althought I think
 >>it will be too much work, would be the ability to create calender
 >>groups. This could be used, say the executives of a club who have their
 >>class schedules in Kronolith, could just put together a big group of
 >>their class schedule calendars, and see easily where everybody is free
 >>for meetings and the like.
 > You lost me in that entire paragraph; I have no idea what you mean by having
 > something like an IMAP folders system. Can you try this again?
Now this step is taking the calender system forward. The closest existing
parallel I can draw to it is the ICQ friend groups system. You can group each
person/calender into one or more groups. When you have that group selected, you
can view everybody/all events in that group simultaneously on the same
list/calender page.

In line with my example above, if there were a group of students, each with
their own schedule on individual calenders (Eg they have a calender _just_ for
thier schedule), and those individual calenders are shared. I might want to
create a 'Schedules' group, containing all the events from those individual
calenders visible on a single calender page.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2@orbis-terrarum.net