[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: forwards/po messages.po

Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:24:51 -0500

Quoting Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org>:

> No, the purpose of the .cvsignore file is to not show file "question marked"
> if running cvs update. You can still add, remove and commit files listed in
> .cvsignore.

Strange.  I've never had them checked in previously.  But now they are.
I did upgrade my cvs a while back, so functionality could have changed
when I upgraded my cvs version.

I always assumed .cvsignore files would not be checked in, based on this
snippet from O'Reilly's CVS Pocket Reference (pg. 42):

  Sandboxes may contain .cvsignore files.  These files specify
  filename patterns for files that may exist in the sandbox but
  normally aren't checked into CVS. This is commonly used to cause
  CVS to bypass derived files.

Anyway, I think the key is that this functionality probably changed
when I upgraded my CVS package.  (I've noticed some other things I
don't really like in the newer CVS also...)

Ah, well, I'll try not to let it happen again...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage