[dev] Docs Module (was: Horde Summary Layout options, in HEAD maybe?)

Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:44:29 -0500

> > I think the only difference between this and existing document formats is
> > perhaps forms.  So if we found one that did forms, we should be okay.
>
> Well, a bunch of these sound more like templates than document formats...

Yes, I agree.

> > Yes.  The only thing CVS really buys here is 1) existing technology and
> > 2) versioning.  Other than that, it isn't important.
>
> 2) there is a rather large win :)

Yes.  And everyone I think wants versioning if possible.  So either we use
cvs, or we "reinvent the wheel" for versioning.  I'm open to either, but
being lazy I of course prefer using existing technology rather than
re-implementing everything.

Which pretty much puts me back to my original ideas of using existing
document XML DTDs and CVS...

But just because I'm lazy, doesn't mean someone else can reinvent the wheel...

At least we seem to all be in agreement that we need to do something for
the docs, and that XML/XSL seems to be the way to go, and that it should
be made easy to use for the non-technical folks.  That's a good start!

Now we just need someone or several someones to start coding ;)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

"Can you hear me now? ... Good!"