[dev] S/MIME help

Cliff Green green@UMDNJ.EDU
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:36:06 -0400

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu>:

> I'd like to try out the S/MIME support.  But there are almost no comments in
> the code and the help files are mostly empty.  So as to fix this, I need some
> help.  My first two questions are:
>
> What format do you import the S/MIME key(s) in?
I've been using cut 'n paste, and copying the PEM format files in place;  I
haven't tried the upload option.

> Looks like it wants .pem files, as opposed to say p12 files?
Agreed.  I haven't seen any reference to pkcs12-related functions in the PHP
Openssl documentation, so I'd guess that any such handling would require calls
to the openssl binary (e.g., 'openssl pkcs12 -in -clcerts', and then parse for the
-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
and
-----END

  Or does it work with multiple formats?