[dev] S/MIME again

Mike Cochrane mike@graftonhall.co.nz
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:43:34 +1200

> ----- Message from green@UMDNJ.EDU ---------
> Well, I haven't:
> 1) hooked the ui to the library yet (signing is easiest, so I'll look
>    there first)
If you have problems with this, just email the list and i'll try sort it out.

> 2) settled on a storage for correspondents' public keys (a separate table,
>    or turba entries?), or
use tubra as pgp does and jsut add a public key entry.

> 3) sketched out ldap searches for public keys not already in turba (okay,
>    assume turba storage for now), and capturing them from signed mail
are there repositories for s/mime keys? I haven't and don't actually use s/mime,
i just wrote the code :-)

> I've contemplated the UI as:
> 1) mimicing what's already there for PGP (see attached screenshots),
> 2) fitting in the options block above the message text, or
> 3) expanding the buttonbar to something like:
>    Send Msg | Send Signed Msg | Send Encrypted Msg | Send Signed/Encrypted
> Msg
>    Save Draft | Cancel Message
>
> #1 is easiest (see attached), though #2 and #3 might offer something nicer,
> aesthetically.  I'm going with easiest for now.
I like the way you've done this, having them both in the same box is nice. I
would like to see pgp with just two boxes like you've done with s/mime, much
more compact. See what other people think about this though.

Probably needs to check that we're not s/mime and pgp signing/encrypting
messages. or if messages are sent both s/mime and php encrypted they are
separate multipart blocks, not one encrypting the output of the other.

- Mike :-)