[dev] IE and download problems

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:29:48 -0600

Quoting Leena Heino <Leena.Heino@uta.fi>:

| This time I'll try to send this also to the list. The fix in the
| CVS did not work. But I did some further testing with imp/view.php and
| the
| attached patch seems to make it work with IE 5.5, Mozilla 1.1, Netscape
| 4.79.
|
| This patch removes the application/x-unknown-application-octet-stream and
| replaces it with application/octet-stream mime type. This patch also
| removes IE quirk feature. The mime type correction and IE quirk removal
| was needed to make it work with IE.

This patch is not entiretly correct IMHO.  It appears we are running into
something that Microsoft actually fixed, namely the Content-Disposition bug
present in IE 5.5.  Jan reported this here (that it was fixed in IE 5.5 SP
2):
http://lists.horde.org/archives/dev/Week-of-Mon-20010924/003381.html

However, we can't completely remove this quirk since all IE 5.5
installations before SP 2 will be broken again.  Thus, we need to figure
out how to identify IE 5.5 subversions from the browser string - anybody
have any ideas?

michael

Michael Slusarz [slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu]
The University of Colorado at Boulder