[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp/lib/Quota command.php

Mon Oct 14 17:17:08 2002

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> slusarz     2002/10/14 08:54:10 PDT
>
>   Modified files:
>     lib/Quota            command.php
>   Log:
>   Style.

This change is generally good, but I've got a question about one change
in it.  AFAIK, it is not covered in the coding standards.  What's worse
is it seems to change each time a config file is updated, making me
chase the change back and forth as different people edit the config files.

The change in question is:

  *     'params' => 'array(
  *       'quota_path' => '/usr/bin/quota',
- *       'grep_path'  => '/bin/grep'))
+ *       'grep_path'  => '/bin/grep'
+ *     )
+ *   )

So which way is correct/endorsed/approved/etc. for use??? Should they end
(as I would like and as Michael shows here) one per line indented to the
proper level, or should they be done as was originally shown (all together
on the last line).

I like the change, as it shows the structure.  So programmers will see
the structure and be helped by it.

However, the "all together" has another feature, which is that it helps
the "newbies" to not make so many mistakes when commenting out, uncommenting,
or changing the config files.  This used to be a huge issue when the
config files (like registry.php) came with everything commented out, and you
needed to uncommment them to enable stuff.  People would always be missing
the trailing ");" when changing things, etc.  Caused lots of pain via
syntax errors.  The new config files are getting away from comments, so
it is becoming less of an issue.

So, I don't care which way it is to be done, but I think we need to decide
which way it is to be done, and add it to the CODING_STANDARDS docs. Otherwise
we're going to continue to have the caos we've had for the last year or so
over this formating issue.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics