[dev] ObjectVFS

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Tue Oct 22 15:43:50 2002

Quoting Jon Wood <jon@jellybob.co.uk>:

> I've started to write an object based wrapper for the VFS class, to go
> into the pear package of it, it's a bit of a mess at the moment, but you
> should be able to get the idea ;)

Looking at this, it really strikes me that the _only_ difference is in the
listFolder() method, and I don't really see any indication of other places
it would differ in the future. That's a lot of indirection for not so much
gain... would it really be so horrible to have a Horde_VFS_FolderList object
or some such that you could pass the results of a listFolder() to?

Actually, thinking about this more, I'm fairly opposed to this way of doing
things; you intend for the ObjectVFS class to be a drop-in wrapper with the
same API, but by changing what listFolder() returns, you are changing the
API - and so this is incompatible. I'd rather we has a seperate folder list
object, combined maybe with a VFS::makeFolderList($path) method in the base
class to return one, than do it this way.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"People ask me all the time what it will be like living without otters."