[dev] using some backported horde 2.x functionality in IMP 3.x

Fri Oct 25 23:04:55 2002

> I need an opinion on development practice here:
>
> If I need to backport some functionality from IMP HEAD to IMP RELENG_3, and
> it has to rely on code that was not in Horde 2.0, do I _have_ to bundle
> those libraries into IMP 3.x? Or would it be acceptable if the feature was
> controlled by a configuration setting, so that the code _could_ run with
> Horde 2.0, but would require a later release (2.2, I guess) if you wanted to
> turn the feature on?
>
> -chuck

>From a user's point of view, you should backport the horde stuff into imp.
Anything else will cause user confusion.

>From a developer point of view, the other approach will make the code cleaner,
stop accidental code duplication, make it easier to find such cases and
remove them in later versions, etc.

Being as user and developer, I'm split 50/50 and think it won't really
matter.  But if I was just a user/installer, I'd definately go with
the "cross backporting" approach...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics