[dev] Menus with icons...

Michael J. Pawlowsky mikejp at videotron.ca
Thu Jan 9 11:58:49 PST 2003

Actually would be possible.
I do it all the time in field inputs where I only want numerical values
or to tell people how much space they have left in the field..

But if does slow things down somewhat.
I wouldn't want to trap the event for every key stroke on every page.

> Bonus
>points  to someone for making the menu keyboard controllable? ;)

Do you know what I really want. I've been thinking about it again this morning.

Have a JavaApp hiding in some hidden frame.

Have all the user events go through that app. So for instance you want to update a select field.
The user clicks some object. The JavaApp catches the event, sends out the appropriate URL to the server,
but the server only sends back the info it needs. The new select values in this case.  The JavaApp then updates the values
in that select box.

Basically I think this should be part of the HTTP protocol. Where you dont have to refresh a complete document but you can tagert
specific objects in a document. So in the header you would send back the id of the object and the attributes/data.
And the browser would only refresh that specific object.

Just felt like sharing my thoughts!  :-)

Cheers,
Mike