[dev] Up2Date

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 14 18:17:49 PST 2003

Quoting Michael Pawlowsky <mjpawlowsky at yahoo.com>:

> Basically locally you would have a data file (or
> table) with a list of files and the version on you
> system. You would also keep a time stamp of the last
> time your system did a poll for any updates.

This is basically what CVS does.

> In an admin section, you have a poll for updates menu
> item. It goes out to a horde.org server. On the horde
> sever it look for any new files since last poll
> timestamp and if so it lists them to the user.

This is basically what CVS does.   But you do it from the command line,
since otherwise the web server would need write access to your site, which
would be very dangerous.

> The
> user then has the option to install the patch or not
> with a click of a menu item.

This won't work the way we currently do things in CVS, since you wouldn't
be able to link related files, because change logs may not be meaningful
enough to make the decisions, and because you might skip one patch and then
try to apply a later one that was dependent on the first (either logically
or physically).

While we could overcome this, it would be a real big pain.

So the other option would be just to diff the snapshots, and let you apply
those diffs.  This would give you a once-a-day up2date opportunity.  Falls
into the same pitfalls as the usual snapshot situation though.

> Not really that hard to do. Just would require
> horde.org to have the resources to allow the polling.

Not quite that easy...  It would either be hard, incomplete, or require
changing the way developers do things....

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!