[dev] comments on new menu system

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Sat Jan 18 09:38:20 PST 2003

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> Just a couple of comments on what I noticed about the current cvs head
> with the new menu stuff.  Could be config issues on my part, but I don't
> think so.  Not been overly dilligent in checking all the .conf.dist files
> yet...
>
> 1) At login, I don't get my Horde summary screen any more (just motd)

I still get my summary screen, but don't use a MOTD.

> 2) The menu frame isn't honoring themes

It seems to, but doesn't look elegant. It's just my opinion, but I think I've
been able to make it look better by changing the value of
$css['.menu']['background-color'] to be the same as
$css['body']['background-color']. I can't decide if the more elegant solution
would be to change the .menu value in every theme file, or just use the body
background color for that frame instead of the menu background color.

> 3) There is no way to tell which menus have submenus (expand)

Perhaps a small icon indicating which menus have submenus would be good?

> 4) There is no space/offset in the main frame left-hand side.  If it
>    honored the themes, this might not be a big deal.  But since it doesn't
>    honor themes, the main frame text (etc) is right up against the menu frame
>    edge and it looks "cramped" (due to different colors in the frames).
> Again
>    this probably wouldn't look bad if the themes (backgroup colors) matched.

Since I modified the theme files, I don't see this. In fact, it looks rather
"un-cramped" (I love making up words :-)

> Other that that, it isn't too bad. :)

It took some time to grow on me (at first, there was an obvious lack of
symmetry), but I really like it now. I just wish I could figure out how to make
groups. Chuck's commit said that he didn't yet have time to put in examples, but
I took a shot at it anyway. I tried setting the menu_parent value in
registry.php, but haven't figured out how to create the parent items themselves
(i.e. I tried to stick several of the apps under a parent named "PIM", but
wasn't sure how to create "PIM").

I'm going to continue looking at it, though. Despite minor issues, I think the
authors of the system did a *great* job. Good work!

Rick