[dev] multipart/report - not ALL errors

eculp at encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Sun Jan 19 06:36:38 PST 2003

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

 | Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
 |
 | | IMP_MIME_Viewer_report currently assumes that all multipart/report emails
 | | are postmaster errors (report-type=delivery-status) when in fact you can
 | | have other types of reports.
 | |
 | | One of those is disposition-notification, which lets users know that a
 | | message was read - and since we currently claim that it's an error
 | | message,
 | | it can be   a bit confusing.
 | |
 | | I'll try and take a look at this, but if anyone gets to it before me...
 |
 | If someone has an example of this kind of message, could you send it to me
 | so I can fix this?
 |
 | michael

AFAIK, Disposition-Notification-To: headers are not acted upon by IMP when
received.  The header is sent properly.  The notification message that is
returned by a client other that IMP is assumed to be an error and shows up
as:

   ERROR: Your message could not be delivered as requested.
The mail server generated the following error message:

    This is a Return Receipt for the mail that you sent to eculp at morando.org.

    Note: This Return Receipt only acknowledges that the message was displayed
on the recipient's computer. There is no guarantee that the recipient has read
or understood the message contents.

Additional message error details can be viewed HERE.
The text of the returned message can be viewed HERE.

I just bounced one to you.

ed