[dev] new releases and patch files.

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 23 17:23:42 PST 2003

> Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:
>
> > Okay, so the reason we're not getting patches when we cut releases for
> > most apps is a check in the script:
> >
> >     if(@ver >= 3 && $ver[$#ver] > 0) {
>
> Huh. I've removed the first part of that (@ver >= 3); maybe that'll help?
>
> Thanks for catching this, Eric.

Yeah, kinda should.  When I did the sork release candidates (V2.x) I changed
it to

   if(@ver >= 2 && $ver[$#ver] > 0) {

And it attemped to make diffs.  Not all worked though flawlessly though, so
I'm not sure if there is more to the matter.

While we're on this script, I was told that we could still to both 2 and
3 digit releases (accounts 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.1) where the 3 digit release was
for minor changes (security fixes, etc).  But the code has this little
ditty, which would seem to be problematic, and again looks like it may
have been for IMP 3.x stuff?

    die "version $Options{version} should not have the trailing 3rd-level .0"
    if (@ver == 3 && $ver[$#ver] eq '0');

This would imply we could never have a 3.0.1 for example?

My perl is real weak, so I don't want to read too much into these, or make
any changes.  But it just looks wrong to me, and helps explain why we are
not getting patches for modules.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics