[dev] Re: Adding contact to nag task [Patch]

Hans Lellelid hans at appliedsec.com
Fri Jan 24 15:37:28 PST 2003

>Good idea. Although I'ld rather call it "relationship_type". Which
>application
>defines the possible values for the relationship types? Would that be the
>source application only or could this also be the target application?
>The links that are defined here are directional. There is a "from" and there
>is a "to". Of course these links can be reversed. E.g. working from Gollem
>I have a set of documents and each has an author associated with them. If I
>go into Turba I would like to have the ability to find all documents that
>have
>a certain author.

Yes -- good point & good question.  In the example of documents &
document authors, I think that the relationship would exist in Gollem
(is that the "from" app?).  Of course I agree that it would be nice for
Turba to know about which apps were using Turba's entities in
relationships...  Perhaps this simply has to be done by convention.
 Perhaps Gollem & Turba agree that the relationshp_type for authors is
going to be "document_author". In Gollem this relationship_type is
responsible for looking up the person(s) who is an author of a given
document; in Turba this relationship_type is used to find documents that
a person has authored.

Does that make sense?  I'm not sure that would account for all needs,
but it seems like there's going to have to be some agreement/convention
between applications for them to be able to share data.

Cheers,
Hans