[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: horde/lib NLS.php String.php

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 6 12:48:06 PST 2003

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> | jan         2003/02/06 09:05:33 PST
> |
> |   Modified files:
> |     lib                  NLS.php String.php
> |   Log:
> |   Cache expensive extension_loaded() calls.
>
> A couple of questions:
> 1) where are you getting the information on how many function calls are
> used, etc.?  Is there some kind of PHP profiler available and I am in the
> dark about it?

Can't speak for Mike, but I use and enjoy php_apd (or just apd) for this
purpose...  It's free and easily available.

> 2) maybe we should keep a list of function calls (in CODING_STANDARDS) that
> we should cache because they are expensive calls?  This would definitely
> help in the future.

Yes, for expensive calls.  But some calls are not expensive per se, just
stuck into loops.  I noticed this when performance profiling troll.  Just
like Mike, I found a bunch of for loops with count() used as the limit.

I'm not sure how much php accelerators fix problems like a count() in
a for loop, if they do at all.  That would also be interesting to know.

On that note, please note that profilers (like apd) and accelerators
are generally not compatible together... :)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!