[dev] [PEAR] Fwd: apd help

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Sat Feb 8 09:32:07 PST 2003

> Where did you get apd from? I use the CVS version and I think I've seen a
> commit message about restoring backwards compatibility wiht older PHP
> versions. I don't know if this commit is in the latest release.
> I also use PHP 4.3.1-cvs so I can't help you any further than that.

I downloaded the tarball from pear.php.net, grabbing what the site called the
latest (0.4p2); I tried the package installer, but got errors.

> Unless you did a debug or ZTS build of PHP the latter three ini settings are
> meaningless.

This is the problem with using RPMs. I downloaded and installed the RPMs
(whatever came with Red Hat 7.3 for apache, 4.2.2 of PHP), so when I read
postings on a mailing list about building PHP or compiling with certain options,
I can't relate. I don't know what "build options" were used.

I've been thinking about moving away from RPMs. They make things easy, but also
hide a lot of the details. I have another machine here with Red Hat 8, and am
thinking that, this weekend, I'm going to download the apache and php source and
install them from scratch, then install horde. The machine isn't exposed to the
internet, but I think it will be wa good learning experience. Then I can have
better control and, once I understand what I'm doing, can duplicate it on my
live web server.

In the mean-time, if anybody who has apd working wants to take a look at patches
for what I've done to klutz and report whether I'm on the right track (reducing
function calls), please let me know.

Thanks for your reply, Jan.

Rick