[dev] Copyright violation: Copying of code from JpGraph into Horde

Johan Persson johanp at aditus.nu
Fri Feb 14 03:37:00 PST 2003

To Chuck Hagenbuch,

I'm very disappointed.

I'm the developer of JpGraph and I have found out that you have,
without ever asking or informed me copied  the code and design
from JpGraph straight into the new Horde Graph module and then put
your own copyright notice on the resulting code.  (After some
name changes of class names in the original code and some other minor
administrative changes.)

The license has also been "casted" from JpGraphs original QPL to LGPL.
(Which are incompatible licenses)

Nowhere in the code (or elsewhere) is any credit or reference made to where
the code was copied from. (Apart from a vague comment in one commit in CVS
that the code is loosly based on JpGraph. "Based on" is one thing, copied is
another.)

The copying, by itself, is not the big problem, and I would have gladly agreed
to it, had I ever been asked.  But I would have asked to be properly
credited.

What really upsets me is your blatant disrespect of my Copyright notice by
you just replacing my copyright notice for the code by your own and then
change the license to LGPL.

A cannot accept this.

Looking forward for an explanation. If we cannot agree I will have to ask you
to remove all my copyrighted graph code from Horde. (This basically means
removal of all graph code in Horde as far as I can tell).

Regards
Johan Persson
Author of JpGraph