[dev] Re: Rationel behind VFS

Jeroen Huinink j.huinink at wanadoo.nl
Thu Feb 20 21:21:55 PST 2003

"Chuck Hagenbuch" <chuck at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting Jeroen Huinink <j.huinink at wanadoo.nl>:
>
> > While I was doing some stuff on Gollem I noticed that the VFS behaves
> > differently for different backends. I assumed that the VFS would behave
> > the same for all backends and that that was the entire purpose behind
the
> > VFS. Was this assumption wrong or is the VFS work in progress and should
> > differences be removed between different backends as much as possible.
> > Could somebody elaborate?
>
> Some backends are just different. Some things aren't finished in some
> backends. If you ask a more specific question, we can help...

The vfsroot parameters and home parameters do not seem to work for the sql
backend. (I can give a more detailed description if required). Furthermore
setting hordeauth => true for the sql backend causes the driver to
authenticate to the mysql database with the horde credentials. I'm not sure
whether this is on purpose. It doesn't seem usefull to me.

Setting vfsroot and home on the ftp backend do nothing at all. I would
figure that setting the home would set the starting directory for the user
and the vfsroot would define the location for '/'. The home directory should
be a subdirectory of the vfsroot directory.

Questions: Are the vfsroot and home supposed to work on all backends? How
are they defined? Is the described hordeauth behaviour for sql backends a
bug or feature? The sql backend currently doesn't have any access control.
Do you intend to include it?

Are these specific enough?

I am trying to figure out how I could best deploy Gollem and am exploring
the options and are therefore trying to understand what I can do with the
different backends. Since there is no formal release of Gollem yet I also
want to make sure that what we are doing fits with the direction you are
taking things. I know and understand that there is a risk involved in using
unreleased software, but some more information could help make a better
decision.

I don't mean to just bug you with questions and keeping you from your other
tasks. I am willing to contribute stuff as well. Maybe you should read my
previous e-mail as a request for a todo list and let me take a pick at some
of the items on that list.

Regards,
Jeroen