[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: horde/templates/javascript tree.js

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Feb 24 10:28:43 PST 2003

Zitat von Marko Djukic <marko at oblo.com>:

> this is one of the more complete discussion i found on innerHTML, lists
> the
> supported browsers (konq and opera 7 too):
>   http://www.developer-x.com/content/innerhtml/

This list covers pretty much the majority of all browsers. Seems like
Konqueror and Opera jumped on that train recently. So I'm fine with using
innerHTML.

> btw, i'm not hooked on this myself, if you reckon there's a better way to
> do it
> with pure DOM i'm all for it. only thing that was worrying me with the
> speed is
> how it will be rendering a 400-500 row table with all the
> collapsing/expanding
> etc...

Rendering isn't the problem here, as the browser has to render the tables
anyway, no matter how it was created.

The strange thing is that innerHTML should always be slower than
createElement() because the browser not only has to create the DOM node but
has to parse the HTML code before. It seems that at least some browser have
been optimized in a way that innerHTML is faster though.

Jan.