[dev] Possible Horde Module

Mike Cochrane mike at graftonhall.co.nz
Mon Mar 3 23:04:40 PST 2003

> ----- Message from horde at ask-adders.com ---------
>     Date: 27 Feb 2003 00:32:23 +0000
>     From: Adam Leach <horde at ask-adders.com>
>  Subject: [dev] Possible Horde Module
>       To: dev at lists.horde.org
>
> I am considering implementing a Education module that will implement the
> following:
> * student coursework submission
> * teacher review
>
> It will take advantage of several existing module, probably including
> IMP and Orator to access additional usful fuctions.

I would be interested to see this as a horde module. I (as a student) make use
of an online assignment submission system for submitting assignments.

To give you some ideas, here's what happens when I submit as assignment:
I login
I am presented with a list of assignments i can submit (i use the for 3 courses
and often have more then one thing i can submit)
I choose a piece of assessment to submit.
I am shown anything important i must read (eg list required files, etc)
I get the option to upload upto 10 files, these can be set to match specific
file types (eg *.txt, *.java) or match exact file names (eg README, ass1.zip).
If i need more then 10 files i click the button about it, i've never needed to
so don't acutally know what happens.
After submitting all the files and fulfilling any required file checks I am
shown an assignment submission reciept.
The receipt is also emailed to me.
I'm done and auto logged out.

A other few things, we are allowed multiple submissions and the most recent is
marked. Assignments can be submitted late until a certain date.

The assignment submission receipts contain as hash of everything submitted
(includeing the submission time) so if we challenge the uni they can prove what
they have matchs what we submitted.

I'm not sure what it would look like from an admin point of view, it know
assessments are added ahead of time and automatically become available and
automatically close. I believe the most recent submissions end up on a normally
file system so they are easily accessable to the markers. Only specific groups
of users can submit to a particular assessments.

Any queries about it from a user's point of view, give me a yell. I've been
using it for 4 years now :-)

- Mike :-)

Example submission reciept:
Electronic Submission Receipt

Paper: COMPSCI.314.C.FS
Assignment: "415314fcass1"
Assignment Due Time: Thu Mar 14 16:00:00 2002

User: mcoc010
Time of Submission: Thu Mar 14 15:09:18 2002

File Summary
Assignment 1.txt of 2061 bytes with a checkSum of 5A4EA229

Verification Code: 1714C710 C4A221CB 0A22187B A2607402 81A23BA0 51035A17