[dev] Re: [imp] whitelist patch...

Amith Varghese amith at xalan.com
Wed Mar 5 09:38:32 PST 2003

> That's not quite the correct solution, and I can't imagine this was what
> Chuck had in mind.
> API methods should never use the $notification object itself but always
> return a PEAR_Error. The problem with the current code is not that it
> returns an error object but that it is inconsistent and stops after the
> first failing address.

Hmm... i'm confused now.  This is what Chuck said

> It'd be best, I think, to return an aggregate error message (single object)
> listing the addresses that failed - but also containing an error code, as
> "already in blacklist" isn't a failure, it's an informational message - so
> we should display "x and y were already in your blacklist" as a status
> message, not as a success or failure...

So my question is how do I return all addresses that succeded and failed?
Originally I thought that I would return an array where the index was the e-mail
address that was submitted for blacklist/whitelist.  The value would be either a
success message or a PEAR_Error.  Other than I'm not really sure what you have
in mind.

> As we're discussing the IMP/black-/whitelist interaction here: I'm not sure
> anymore if it's a good idea to redirect to the black/whitelist screen after
> submitting addresses. Sure it's the only way to correct any accidently
> submitted address or to finetune them. But now that not only IMP provides
> this feature, it's hard to get back to the original screen, once you are in
> Sam or Ingo.

This can be changed pretty easily.

> What I used to do with IMP's blacklist was to click on "apply filter" after
> I blacklisted addresses so that I get back to the last mailbox _and_ the
> blacklisted mails get removed. Neither of these is possible if Sam or Ingo
> are providing the blacklist backend.
>
> Any ideas how to solve this issue?

I admit this is confusing for someone to be redirected.  Novice users might have
problems getting back.  But they also might have problems figuring out how to
change the blacklist/whitelist if they added an address accidentally.  I thought
that when another application gets called the current state got pushed on some
sort of stack.  Maybe we can use that to generate a link at the top of the page
saying "Back to Mail"  I'm not sure if this is possible but its an idea.

Amith