[dev] Fwd: Re: Patch I submitted

Amith Varghese amith at xalan.com
Fri Mar 7 10:29:17 PST 2003

> That's very nice of you to say but you are clearly missing the point.
> Legal laws/standards are often (I use often lightly!) well conceived but
> what would happen if they were applied without regard to circumstance
> and practicality?

For the legal system there is (in most countries) the court system to figure out
what laws are well conceived and which ones are not.  In the Horde/IMP Project
all we have are the core developers and the rest of the user base.

Occasionally someone on the list wants to commit a patch that breaks the RFCs
for the sake of usability.  And while you have a point, that usability is
important, I personally don't see tons of people agreeing with you or arguing
your case.  I think one of the important goals of this project is to have an RFC
compliant mail system.

As Jan mentioned, RFC's are usually well thought out and these type of things
are taken into account.  I personally would like to err on the side of the RFC
and not do something "because everyone is doing it".

The beauty of open source is that you can do whatever you want.  If you would
like to change your install you should do it.  However, I don't think the core
developers want go down this path.

Amith