[dev] Permissions Example

Todd Jordan jordan at pieceofthe.net
Mon Mar 10 16:34:52 PST 2003

I'm hoping to integrate IMP, Kronolith, and Turba with an application
I'm working on which should use Horde's functions itself. This
particular app requires multiple user levels for both internal and
external users. I found the Perms class through checking the API docs. I
think this will probably do what I need without any rewriting, but a
quick grep through the code I have installed doesn't reveal any actual
uses of this class in the above apps.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since I wasn't even aware of any
permission levels except guest and user before I started looking.

Anyway, what I'm wondering now is, what projects, if any, actually use
this feature? Is it granular enough to handle the differentiation
between internal/external admins, and a couple of different groups of
users?

Here's what I mean.

My system will have a bunch of users who will be considered internal
users by merit of their being employees. Amongst these users some people
will be able to only look up and add a limited set of information. Their
bosses will have access to everything that they any of their employees
do, but not, necessarily those any other "supervisor's" employees. Then
there will be administrative users who will be responsible for adding
and removing accounts (something I'll probably write myself) and will
have full rights to everything in the system.

External users will have basically the same sets of people, but will be
limited in what they can see to only their specific organization's info.

Any modules currently doing something similar enough to get an example
of how to write it into my new app?

Thanks.