New release cycle; was: Re: [dev] Fwd: HEAD

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Mar 21 23:32:02 PST 2003

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:
>
> > 3.) There's all sorts of new stuff in HEAD that is just yearning to see
> the
> > light of (mass distribution) day :)
>
> Yes, and we could have released it a while back, just before we did the
> new UI interface.  That was a stable time, with lots of new features, and
> no real problems/debates other than making a major all-encompassing
> UI change.

This just wouldn't work. If people have a good idea/patch for the code it
won't be hold just because we perhaps will release a new version in the next
few months. This project (as most other open source projects) works that way
that people contribute and code stuff they like too, not what needs to be done.

> We could have done a Horde 3.0 release, then made the UI changes and in a
> short time released the new Horde 4.0 with the new UI. That would have
> been
> a good "release early and release often" plan.

This "short time" won't happen and "release early, release often" won't work
in this project.
I still remember well the long and winding road we had before the last major
releases. It took a lot of time and manpower to get them on the shelves and
iirc the release process took a few months.
Now think about how much spare time each one of us currently has, and how
many modules we now have that are ready for releases compared to the last
time (Horde, IMP, Turba, Kronolith). Who should handle all this?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new release cycle but I fear that we
don't have the ressources and discipline for this at this moment.

> > Maybe we can at least identify what needs to be cleaned up in each
> component
> > so we know what to shoot for.
>
> Number one thing is the new UI.  Number two on *my* list is the charset
> code (e.g. its use concerning access keys for just one example).

Yes, the charset stuff is still not complete and needs to be ironed out
before we can release new versions.

> Less important, but also on my list, is support things.  New user's guide
> would be great.  New php/pear releases with RPMS would be great.  While
> not
> part of the software, having these things ready with the release would
> make
> it a lot easier for people to upgrade.  Since the new Horde would require
> new php versions, pear versions/modules, and new docs, it would be great
> if we were prepared to help people here also.

Would be nice to have.

> > Maybe start releasing the code as 'alpha' or 'beta' to induce more
> people to
> > download and try (I realize we do snapshots, but I think people are
> still
> > hesitant to try something out that isn't labeled at least 'beta').
>
> I can't even get people to try my release candidates...  I don't I could
> get them to run pre-release candidates.  The release candidates are
> already
> beta, so we'd have to go alpha.  And we can't endorse alpha code for
> production machines, so I doubt we will really increase our user base
> this way.

100% agreed, I don't think anything between our snapshots and release
candidates make any sense.

> > Call me names, tell me my reasoning or stupid, whatever.  Just wanted
> > give my current feelings.
>
> I pretty much agree with it all, except I'd warn against taking the
> "release often" bit too strictly. Release early and release often but
> only release something when it is ready, and never before it is ready.
>
> Right now, I don't see it as ready...  In a short while, maybe it will
> be.  What we need perhaps is for someone to jump up and down and scream
> and shout when we hit those points where it is ready, so we can get a
> release out at that time instead of making major changes which preclude
> a new release coming out any time soon.

The only way this might work with our current ressource at all would a
complete feature freeze and concentration on bug fixes and stabalizing the
new stuff for the next two or three months. Do we want to do this?

As said before I'd love to see new versions, but I don't know if want to
spend this few spare time that's left for Horde solely on digging for bugs;
something I actually do most of the time at work. This might be egoistic,
but hey, that's all about motivation in open source projects. ;-)

Jan.