New release cycle; was: Re: [dev] Fwd: HEAD

Jon Parise jon at horde.org
Sat Mar 22 21:57:25 PST 2003

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 07:29:31PM -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:

> > I've used the "Merge after:" field fairly often.  I just keep a
> > separate mailbox of my CVS commit messages and check it often to see
> > whether I'm due to merge any changes back into a release branch.  It's
> > not really hard to work that step into your normal development
> > process.
>
> Yes, all we need is for the seasoned cvs developers (e.g. you) to tell
> the newbie cvs developers (e.g. me) how to do things.  I'll try the above
> method.

Shucks; I just make stuff up as I go along. =)

> A more automated way would be better perhaps, but the above is better
> than nothing (which is what I'm doing now).

Yes, automating such a common and repetitious process would be
beneficial to everyone.  I'll be sure to revisit those scripts some
time soon.

> I'd be glad to run releng_*, and used to back when it had the functionality
> I needed.  But now the functionality I need is only in HEAD, so I run HEAD.

Ideally, more of the new functionality would be backported (as long as
the changes didn't break compatibility and didn't involve sweeping
architectural changes, of course).

--
Jon Parise (jon at horde.org) :: The Horde Project (http://horde.org/)