New release cycle; was: Re: [dev] Fwd: HEAD

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 24 14:36:34 PST 2003

> couldn't handle 3 branches. As much as I focus just on HEAD now, that would
> push me to do it more.

But we already have 3+ branches for apps.  And, this third branch would be
a temporary, short-term thing, after which it becomes the latest releng_*
branch.  So you would only need to worry about this "third" branch for
a short period of time.

I admit, it would be more complicated.  But it would also buy us the
ability to cut more releases.  As always, there is a trade off.

> This is *not* an ideal, but I feel pretty strongly that it's, for me, a
> reality. If we had a dedicated release team that could keep track of this...
> great. But it's not something that *I* will be able to help with.

Maybe we should discuss having a dedicated release
"cleanup-it-and-get-it-out-door" type team?

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!