[dev] setup/config

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Apr 7 13:35:13 PDT 2003

Quoting Marko Djukic <marko at oblo.com>:

>  - code which could be shared i need to move it into the cli specific
> class and create alternatives for code like Horde::fatal(). which bloats
> the cli class too much. which then raises the question should we be making
> such a beefed up CLI interface duplicating a lot of the main horde code if
> it is going to be used relatively little? and it does not seem to make
> sense having code like Horde::fatal() interface independent.

If people are going to use Horde to write command-line apps, it does. Also
you could just not use Horde::fatal() in the setup code...

>  - this is the same with horde_forms code, started emulating its code
> within the CLI dialog box code, bloating the CLI code yet it doesn't make
> sense having horde_forms interface independent.

Whyever not? I've thought a couple times about writing a
Horde_Form_Renderer_cli. And we should have Horde_Form_Renderer_mobile,
too, for producing forms using the Horde_Mobile:: class.

> could we use a dedicated mini-webserver as part of the "admin" package for
> horde?

Ugh. Raises the barrier for things that need to work a bunch.

> - use something like phpgtk?

Same. Huge install burden on most users - hell, I don't have phpgtk running
anywhere.

> - use dialog/whiptail type of dialog managers? anything available for
> windows?

Doubtful.

The point of horde/scripts/setup.php was to help provide CLI-based tools
which could help get a user to the minimum setup that could *securely* run
from the web. Why not stick with this? Have a simple command line tool that
can create a basic registry, a Horde conf.php file, app conf.php files if
needed, and set an initial Horde Admin user.

Then continue fleshing out the web UI in horde/admin to do more setup tasks
better. I don't really see a problem with asking people to cut-n-pasted
config files as a backup method. And this way anything through the web is
controlled by Horde authentication.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"... It is not more light we need, but more warmth! We die of cold, not of