[dev] passwd - crypt-md5

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 24 16:19:13 PDT 2003

Quoting Max Kalika <max at lsit.ucsb.edu>:

> Quoting "Ian P. Christian" <pookey at pookey.co.uk>:
>
> > I also foudn that the crypt password bit prepends a {crypt} on it.  I
> > don't know why it does that.
>
> That one confused me as well.  I took it off locally and everything is
> honkey-dory.  Eric (or someone else who knows about this), what was the
> {crypt} for?

I (Eric) have no idea, as someone else wrote that code.  But I assume
it is needed for some setup, probably not for others.  The big problem
is that the people writting the drivers for sork are not writting or
providing any docs to go with them...

But you probably won't get an answer to this on the dev list, it should
probably go to the sork list instead (I'm CC'ing everything there), as
most of the people involved in writing the drivers are not on the dev
list but are on the sork list.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics