[dev] Multiple S/MIME private/public keys

Roger Håkansson hson at ludd.luth.se
Fri Apr 25 00:41:10 PDT 2003

I'm sitting here wondering how to store multiple S/MIME private/public keys.
Now you might wonder why you would like to do that, well if you (like me)
have saved lots of old mail(I save all mail except for mailinglists,
newsletters and spam) you might have some mails encrypted with one of your
old (expired) public keys.
In order to be able to read those mails you need to use that old key, but
IMP can only store one key.

I've been thinking on the best way to implement the ability to store
multiple private(and why not public) keys
One way would be to do something similiar to the current implementation,
i.e. store the private/public keys in horde_prefs with "pref_name" set to
"smime_private_key_X"/"smime_public_key_X" (X being a sequence number).
Setting which key to use when sending mail, could be done with something
like "pref_name" "active_smime_key".

Any comments and thoughts?
--
Roger Håkansson