[dev] IMP, IMAP, folders and getting the IMAP stream

Diego Rivera lrivera at racsa.co.cr
Tue May 27 10:13:53 PDT 2003

Hello all!

I'm trying to add a method to the effect of "getmailbox( name, flags )"
to IMP's api.php.

The idea is to reuse whatever IMAP stream IMP has already opened, or at
the very least the credentials IMP is using.

The goal of this is to be able to, from other apps, access information
via IMAP which is stored in different folders on a particular server.

This is necessary because that's how stuff is stored/retrieved in Kolab
(i.e., there's a Calendar folder, a Contacts folder, Notes, etc.).

This method would be accessed from specific Kolab drivers for Turba,
Kronolith, Mnemo, Nag, etc.

As it turns out, such a method exists in IMP_IMAP, but I don't want to
use it since it would require me keeping a separate copy of the
connection info.

I also noticed the $_SESSION['imp'] stuff.  However, I'm not sure if
this variable (used in IMP.php to keep the connection info - I think)
should be accessed from api.php - I see these as implementation-specific
specific details, and I'd love to keep the abstraction here to a
maximum.

Can anybody offer any pointers? Do's and don'ts?  Maybe other portions
of code I may want to look at?

Thanks in advance - I'd rather have a little more info before I start
hacking around and stepping on everybody's toes.

Also, is there anything similar to architecture docs, tech docs, etc,
available?

* Diego Rivera                                            *
* "The Disease: Windows, the cure: Linux"                 *
* E-mail: lrivera<AT>racsa<DOT>co<DOT>cr                  *
* Replace: <AT>='@', <DOT>='.'                            *
* GPG: BE59 5469 C696 C80D FF5C  5926 0B36 F8FF DA98 62AD *
* GPG Public Key avaliable at: http://pgp.mit.edu         *