[dev] Migration of IMP filters to ingo (soon)

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Tue Jun 3 06:54:36 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 18:43, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> All,
> I am getting very close to to committing the code to HEAD that will remove
> all filter configuration code from IMP and transferring these
> responsibilities to ingo.  So this is forewarning for those using HEAD IMP
> that they will need to configure/setup ingo if they want to continue using
> filters in IMP.

ack!  Client side filtering won't work AT ALL?

> this new code promises to be much more flexible and easier to add
> functionality to in the future, not to mention that IMP will now be more
> fully integrated with procmail or sieve filtering (as opposed to being
> locked in to simply imap client-side filtering).

I like the flexibility, but I'm concerned about adding additional
filters to my mail server..

> To prepare for the move, I have created a script in the ingo/scripts
> directory that can be used to export IMP filters into ingo.  I have tested
> it with my current HEAD filter set and it seems to be working fine.
> However, it has not been tested with IMP 3.x style filters so testing will
> be greatly appreciated (this script does NOT destroy your old imp filters
> so it should be free to play around with).  Note that this script is only
> designed to work with SQL storage based solutions - I have no idea if it
> will work with LDAP at all (probably not).
>
> Comments/concerns would be great.  The IMP code is mostly done - it is what
> I am using to filter mail as we speak.  However, I am going to play around
> with it for a while longer to see if I can squash most major bugs before
> finally committing.

Since IMP's filtering was working fine for me, I never investigated
Ingo.  Now that I am, I cannot figure the damn thing out :P

I run Horde HEAD on a server running courier IMAP 1.7.0.
As I look at Ingo, it appears to be geared towards uploading procmail
scripts for a server setup like mine, so that filtering is done
server-side.  That's fine, but I don't want to do that.  The
backends.php is kind of confusing.  I just want to do client-side
filtering with Ingo - just like Imp did (because you say Ingo will
replace what IMP does)  Is this possible?

Is this right?

$backends['null'] = array(
    'driver' => 'null',
    'preferred' => 'localhost',
    'script' => 'imap',
    'hordeauth' => 'user',
    'params' => '');

Ohhh.. wait.. I use the setup.php from the console, and it doesn't ask
any questions when creating a conf.php... so if I set the storage driver
to sql (my sql driver name), and if I have the backends.php set to NULL
properly (again, did I do that right?) It should still do client-side
filtering, correct?

Are there limitations to what the client-side filter can filter, vs the
sieve or procmail filters?

Sorry if I sound dumb, but it obviously looks like I need to catch up on
something I haven't been following...

dammit.. I suppose I need to monitor ANOTHER Horde list :P

Thanks!

Rick