[dev] Reducing persistent database connections

Joe Wilson joe.wilson at mindcandy.org
Thu Jun 5 11:37:02 PDT 2003

Since, as Jan pointed out, PHP does not offer connection pooling or a single
connection per Apache process, I think you would be wise to test this on a
single application before altering the entire codebase.  Check before and after
on performance and # of connections used for that application.

I caution this because it isn't clear why connections to MySQL have become cheap
(as referred to in the LiveJournal.com document) or that this is generally true
for other DBs or languages.  LiveJournal.com runs mod_perl, not mod_php, and so
what is true for them may not be true for Horde.

Having spent the last seven years architecting and optimizing high-volume
database driven web applications, I have learned that this decision should be
made based upon empirical evidence as the situation is rarely as simple as it
seems.

Just my opinion.  I've had my say.  Thanks.  :p

Regards,

Joe