[dev] automated tests Was: Help with attachments

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 9 14:42:58 PDT 2003

> > * "lint" the repository for syntax errors (run "php -l" on all php files)
>
> This could be done with the cvs commit scripts on the server side. IIRC Jon
> mentioned something like this in the past.

That would probably be cool/good, if it could be done.  It would seem to
be the proper place to do it (catch mistakes at commit, rather than after
commit).

> > * catch/report violations to CODING_STANDARDS
>
> This would be a bit harder, but is basically done during the "pear package"
> command. I think we could take some ideas from there.

Okay, will try to look at that code.  But at least some of the checks are
trivial, even if others are not.

> > * automated scripts to test stand-alone library functions (like
> > encryption
> >   functions, compression/decompression functions, etc)
>
> See lib/Data/tests that was a start for exactly such a test framework,
> powerd by "pear test".

Do you mean "pear run-tests"?  Is there a minimum pear version needed for
this?  How do you us it?  (I can't get them to work)

> Yes, but please look at what's already there, so that we don't reinvent the
> wheel.

Definately.

--
Eric Rostetter