[dev] Releasing Horde 3.0

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Jun 18 13:33:11 PDT 2003

> As far as I'm concerned, the *only* showstopper for releasing Horde 3.0
> is
> breaking our libs out into packages that are seperately upgradeable, so
> that we can do *many* more feature-adds/upgrades of both Horde and
> modules
> just by requiring new versions of, say, the Data package for a new
> version
> of Kronolith.

That's indeed what I see as to be done before a new release. It would also
be cool if we could separate the libraries even so far that they can be
released stand alone. That means that all user interaction that still is in
part of the code should be moved out.

> Everything else can be done incrementally. That needs to be in place and
> solid so that we don't have to do major version releases so often, and
> can
> roll HEAD features out quickly.

There is currently some work on the PEAR installer to better support
application installation. We probably want to wait until this has been
released in a new version. I'm not sure where exactly they are heading to
though.
Perhaps it will even make sense to write a Horde installer as a wrapper
around PEAR.

Jan.