[dev] Patch: imp/lib/Message.php

Max Kalika max at lsit.ucsb.edu
Fri Jun 20 13:57:17 PDT 2003

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> Quota is 100KB, User is using 99KB
> User wants to delete 2KB message in INBOX.  Using imap_mail_move(), the
> message is first copied to the trash, then deleted.  However, the copy
> would cause the user to be at 101KB, and the server will not allow this.

I might be wrong, but I don't think this is entirely true.  I think the
server would allow this message to be written and then put the user over
quota (this is speaking from cyrus experience).

Here's a worse scenario:
User is already over quota with 105KB in his/her mailbox (lets say quota is
still 100KB).  And say the user now wants to delete a 2KB message by moving
it to trash.  If you delete the message first, and expunge the mailbox, the
user is still over quota by 3KB so the server will disallow any new
messages and the consequent write-to-trash operation will fail -- message
gone forever.

--
---max kalika
--max at lsit.ucsb.edu