[dev] Autocomplete on compose message

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Jul 14 06:25:12 PDT 2003

Quoting Nuno Loureiro <nuno at co.sapo.pt>:

> I'm not sure if I understood correctly what you want. You want the drop
> down only when the onblur event occurs?

Right. Just like the current aut-expand code; just do a search when the user
tabs/clicks out of the field. That way you don't load *nearly* as many
addresses into javascript, it'll be quicker, but still very useful.

> Anyway, I have a sugestion. I think Jan gave me a similiar sugestion in
> the past. I could do like in auto-expand, i.e., load the list of
> addresses in background in an iframe. This list would be created after
> the user typed the first char in To: or Cc: or Bcc: field. This list is
> a list of records started by such letter and that means records which
> first name or last name or email start by that letter.

This is still a potentially huge number, and precludes effectively using
something like a school-wide directory in your lookups. If you do a search on
more complete strings, you'll do much better with large directories.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
The alligators were there, too, in a bathtub inside the house.