[dev] Horde_Cipher et al;

Davey davey at php.net
Sat Jul 26 02:22:58 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm currently looking into developing a XML Encryption package for PEAR,
I have already decided to support the following:

* HMAC
* mcrypt
* mhash
* PGP/GPG (by way of this class [1] that Chuck has kindly offered to
PEARize)

However, apart from the HMAC solution which only offers message
integrity checking, no encryption, all of these require
some sort of other dependendy to be installed and I would like to offer
some userland implementations to get around this.

To that end, I have been pointed to [2] and was wondering a few things,

1) Are they fast enough to actually use? Obviously I don't expect them
to be as fast as the mcrypt library
2) Is anyone who actually knows the code, willing to PEARize them? I
think they would need to be completely seperate entitys
so no more central Horde_Cipher class which is extended by the cipher
driver... however, personally I like this way, a unified API
where possible is always good!
3) Does anyone object to me PEARizeing and submitting to PEAR if no-one
else will take up the challenge? I don't know the code
and have no knowledge of the ciphers themselves so I would be reluctant
to do this on my own...

Well, thanks for reading, hope to hear something soon :)

- Davey

[1] http://cvs.horde.org/cvs.php/horde/lib/Crypt/pgp.php
[2] http://cvs.horde.org/cvs.php/horde/lib/Cipher