[dev] iconv and mbstring

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sat Jul 26 06:27:56 PDT 2003

> > > this
> > > error message:
> > > [26-Jul-2003 15:06:42] PHP Notice:  iconv(): Wrong charset, cannot
> > > convert from
> > > `UTF7-IMAP' to `ISO-8859-1//TRANSLIT' in
> > > i:\httpd\clean\horde\lib\String.php on
> > > line 92
> > >
> > > Is this something specific to me, windows or just bad luck?
> >
> > This is correct because iconv doesn't know about utf7-imap, only
> mbstring.
> > Thus all folder name conversions in IMP will be done by mbstring (if
> > available) and most of the message conversions will be done by iconv
> (if
> > available).
>
> Is there any way we could code hints into String.php to know not to try
> iconv
> for these charsets, or to pass a hint to the convertCharset() function to
> not
> try iconv?

We could, sure, but does that make sense? The iconv library and mbstring are
moving targets and we can't know what charsets will be supported in what
version compiled into the current PHP. And hopefully both will continue to
support more and more charsets.

I guess I can ask the iconv guys if there is a reason why they don't support
utf7-imap and if it's a political decision so that we can make an exception
for this certain case.

Jan.