[dev] Horde_Cipher et al;

Mike Cochrane mike at graftonhall.co.nz
Sat Jul 26 15:00:30 PDT 2003

> ----- Message from davey at php.net ---------
> >
> >The code is fine. What's needed is to identify any Horde dependencies and to
> get
> >them submitted to PEAR.
> >
> >I'd be very reluctant to submit them as seperate libraries, instead of as
> the
> >whole Cipher/Crypt packages.
> >
> The reason for this is that there is existing Crypt_* packages, and
> putting this into PEAR as-is would break that sort of, in that the
> existing packages are stand-alone and these are not. :Like I said, I
> like the idea of having it all in one, but it just doesn't fit into PEAR
> like that. I will bring this up on the pear-dev ML and see what they
> think should be done.

I would not support it if the Horde_Cipher class was split into seperate
packages.

The classes were never designed to work that way. Without the blockmode classes
the cipher classes are useless and vice-vera. You need both to be able to do
anything usefull.

Horde_Cipher currently depends on Crypt_Rc4 for RC4 encryption. Horde_Cipher
would obsolete Crypt_Crypt (never released) and Crypt_CBC.

- Mike :-)