[dev] Rich text editor in IMP

Nuno Loureiro nuno at co.sapo.pt
Mon Sep 15 03:33:36 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 21:26, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Nuno Loureiro <nuno at co.sapo.pt>:
>
> > The first one is based on a BSD license, and the last one has no license
> > at all (it says 100% free).
> >
> > I really like more the first one, because it's much more powerful and
> > pretty. I think there's no problem of adding a component based on a BSD
> > license into a GPL application. At least this was what BSD kernel folks
> > told me in #kerneled @ freenode. Anyway, I'll ask to its author.
>
> We'd technically be adding the BSD licensed code into Horde, not IMP (IMP just
> uses it/integrates with it), which is LGPL'd. If the author(s) give permission
> to use the code with no strings, or very reasonable strings, I agree that it
> looks much more powerful and we should go with it.

What BSD folks told me is that if we include a BSD component into a GPL
project that component would turn GPL, because its license is less
restrictive than GPL. The only things that we'd need to do are to keep
the copyright lines in the code and notice the author about its use.

I already emailed the author, but I think he's on vacations right now
(at least such notice is on his web page).

> Otherwise, I'd prefer to go with the completely free one, because we'll be sure
> that we can distribute it, modify it, improve it, etc. ourselves with no
> problems.

*nod*. I'd only go to the first one if we have such freedom...

-nuno

--
Nuno Loureiro <nuno at co.sapo.pt>
PTM.com - http://www.sapo.pt/